Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Back to Babati, Tanzania where I left my heart

 I am joining my first "Voluntourism" trip with church and community friends from the greater IL-IA Quad Cities. Destination: Northern Tanzania and the town of Babati where the 3 year old Amka Afrika Primary School stands.   While these photos were from 2011 during my visit while leading a Blue Horizon Travel safari when the school had dirt floors, no windows, no school supplies, no desks,  much has changed due to grateful visitors and generous donations. I will do my best to update with more photos as I am able with limited wifi and "internet" sticks.   Sometimes I may only be able to write text as uploading photos may be impossible.  Our mission is called "Teach the Teachers".  I will explain more, but the education model since the European colonization times of Africa has been very one sided with teachers saying words, and children repeating.  Teaching for "understanding" and reteaching using various methods (like hands-on manipulatives or role playing) just doesn't happen.  In our short week working side by side local teachers, we hope to share successful techniques from our local schools.  Please follow my journey.

2011,Wava Madden, First Presbyterian Church and Jenni Salisbury, Wellshire Pres, Denver learning a dance
March 2011 Heather Salisbury (daughter) with Amka kids



No comments:

Post a Comment